Hearing Help Essex exists to alleviate the isolation and loneliness that hearing loss can bring. Our award-winning team of staff and volunteers provide services across the County supporting over 7,000 individuals each year.
We are seeking to appoint a Treasurer to join our Board of Trustees.
Treasurer Role Profile
The Treasurer’s role is a strategic one with oversight of the Charity’s financial affairs. The Chief Executive Officer and the Finance & Project Coordinator are responsible for the day-to-day financial operations of the Charity.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Guiding and advising the board in the approval of budgets, accounts and financial statements, within a relevant financial policy framework
- Keeping the board informed about its financial duties and responsibilities
- Advising on the financial implications of the charity’s strategic plans and key assumptions in the operational plan and annual budget
- Ensuring that all board members have a clear understanding of the accounts presented at meetings and the implications that they reveal
- Understanding the accounting procedures and key internal controls to be able to assure the board that the charity’s financial integrity is sound
- Ensuring that a realistic budget is produced which meets all the charity’s needs and that there is an appropriate reserves policy
- Monitoring the charity’s income and expenditure position and presenting reports to the board at least quarterly, in a format accessible to the board members
- Ensuring that full financial records are kept for all transactions and that proper financial procedures and controls are in place to safeguard the charity’s resources
- Presenting the accounts at the AGM and drawing attention to important points in a coherent and understandable way
- Liaising with the Chief Executive Officer about financial matters
- Playing a key role in planning a clear fundraising strategy to raise money for future activities and developments
- Chairing any finance committee and reporting back to the full board.
Personal skills and qualities
- financial qualifications or experience
- some experience or knowledge of charity finance, fundraising and pension schemes
- the skills to analyse proposals and examine their financial consequences
- preparedness to make unpopular recommendations to the board
- willingness to be available to staff to provide advice and guidance on financial matters
For further information and an informal discussion about the role please contact Sophie Ede, CEO, on 01245 496347 or email@example.com